DOES CHIROPRACTIC REALLY WORK?
Scientific evidence proving that chiropractic care works is overwhelming. Over the past 20 years, many controlled and independent research studies have shown that chiropractic care is safe and effective for treating low back pain, neck pain, headaches, and other spine-related conditions.
Of course, the effectiveness of treatment always depends on case-specific circumstances. What works for one body may not be affective for another. This is why we perform regular exams to ensure that treatment is going as planned and pivot when necessary.
WHAT IS A CHIROPRACTIC ADJUSTMENT? IS IT SAFE?
Chiropractic adjustments are the main method of chiropractic treatment. An adjustment is a specialized, controlled and safe pressure applied to restore the proper motion and position of your vertebrae.
Every health procedure, from taking aspirin to giving blood, involves a level of risk. Chiropractic adjustments are among the safest of all health care interventions because they are non-surgical, drug-free and present an extremely low risk when performed by a skilled professional. Dr. Ley has practiced chiropractic care for over 24 years, and always takes the proper precautions in diagnosing and treating patients.
DO I NEED A REFERRAL TO SEE A CHIROPRACTOR?
No. Chiropractors are primary providers, just like family physicians, optometrists, and dentists. You do not need a referral to schedule an appointment at Achieve Wellness.
WHAT CAN I EXPECT FROM A CHIROPRACTIC VISIT?
At Achieve Wellness, Dr. Ley performs the following steps for each of her chiropractic patients:
- Conduct a thorough review of your specific problem, including relevant medical history and overall health.
- Ask you to perform physical tests and movements to help identify the root problem.
- If necessary, use an x-ray to confirm condition and search for underlying issues.
- Diagnose your situation and outline treatment options. If chiropractic treatment is not the right course of action, you will be referred to a relevant professional.
- Make a Prognosis, taking into account your general health habits, occupation, stress, and activity levels.
- Monitor your response to treatment, looking at both your specific condition and overall health.
Chiropractic care is based on two main components: wellness and prevention. We often suggest utilization of exercises, along with nutrition and lifestyle modifications to improve your overall well-being.
WHAT RESULTS CAN I EXPECT FROM TREATMENT?
The length of time you have had the problem, your age and the degree of your disability all affect the length of your treatment.
Dr. Ley will give you an estimate of the extent of relief you should receive from the recommended treatment and how long you can expect it to last.
One of the main reasons people choose chiropractic is that they often get quick results. Individual cases vary and chronic conditions obviously need more treatment. However, Workers’ Compensation Board studies show that people with low back pain return to work much faster with chiropractic care.
HOW DO I KNOW IF I’M SEEING A QUALIFIED CHIROPRACTOR?
Always make sure your medical care professionals are properly licensed. Doctors of Chiropractic have studied and trained in a post-secondary college or university for at least seven years. This includes a minimum 4,500 hours of intense academic study, including classroom learning, clinical science and internship training. The three main areas of study are:
- Basic Sciences. This includes Anatomy, Physiology. Pathology, Biochemistry, Clinical Sciences, X-ray Interpretation and Differential Diagnosis.
- The Philosophy and Practice of Chiropractic
- Clinical Internship with Emphasis on Hands-on Practice.
HOW DO I KNOW WHICH DIET TO CHOOSE?
There are a lot diets, cleanses, and eating fads out there. All seem to have some level of “’scientific” research to back them up. It’s important to think about what your body needs when deciding what foods you’ll be prioritizing. Variety is always important, as is hydration.
Designed Clinical Nutrition aims to find what nutrients your body is lacking and fills the gaps in your diet. True nutrition isn’t about avoiding one item, like carbs or fat. It’s about finding a healthy balance and choosing food that nourishes you. Ask about our Nutrition Response Testing™ for more details.
WHAT ARE EASY STEPS I CAN TAKE TO STAY HEALTHY?
- Drink more water. As a whole, Americans are usually dehydrated. Drinking eight to ten 8oz glasses of water a day goes a long way to keeping your body healthy. It also makes it less likely you’re drinking dehydrating beverages like coffee, sofa, and tea.
- Eat out less. Restaurant food is often very processed, or contains the wrong types of fats and sugar for optimal nutrition. Figure out how often you eat out and strive to cut out one time each week or month, continually decreasing that number.
- Eat more raw foods. Cooking and preserving destroys a lot of the nutrients in foods, especially fruits and vegetables.
- Choose whole foods rather than synthetic supplements, your body better absorbs nutrients from whole food sources. Sometimes supplements are useful in correcting deficiencies, but for the most part, your body better absorbs nutrients in foods.
- Get a good night’s sleep. Your body needs 7-8 hours of sleep each night to stay healthy.
- See our Wellness Tips for more information.
HOW DOES ACUPUNCTURE WORK?
Acupuncture originates from China and is the practice of inserting needles in critical points of the human body to release energy flow and correct internal imbalances. Acupuncture has proven to be effective in both preventing and treating illness.
WHAT CONDITIONS CAN ACUPUNCTURE TREAT?
Acupuncture is often used to relieve pain. Specific Conditions include arthritis, headaches, lower back and neck pain, fibromyalgia, tendonitis, anxiety, depression, insomnia, TMJ, whiplash, and more.
WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT AT MY FIRST VISIT?
During your first visit, our acupuncturist will establish your health history and current conditions. She will obtain a complete picture of your needs and then create a plan to address them and track progress.
Many people think of chiropractic only in terms of back pain, but the range of conditions treatable by chiropractic adjustment is extremely varied. Chiropractic adjustments are highly controlled yet individualized processes that the doctor personalizes to treat each patient’s unique physiology and symptoms.
Below are just a few conditions that respond extremely well to chiropractic:
Many forms of arthritis are caused by excessive wear on the joint. Chiropractic helps prevent arthritis by helping to ensure proper alignment and relieving joint stress. For patients with existing arthritis, chiropractic can help relieve the pain by improving joint alignment to prevent painful stress.
Relief of back pain through spinal manipulation is the most widely known of uses of chiropractic. Properly aligning discs and vertebrae relieves back and neck pain, reduces inflammation and relieves stress on other parts of the body that work to compensate for the spinal issue.
CARPAL TUNNEL SYNDROME
Carpal tunnel syndrome is a repetitive stress injury resulting from overuse or improper use of the hand and wrist. Doctors of Chiropractic treat carpal tunnel syndrome through manipulation of the affected wrist, elbow and even the upper body to realign the joints and reduce painful inflammation. The doctor may also prescribe ice, ultrasound therapy or wrist supports.
Disc problems may include degeneration, herniation or tearing. Symptoms are pain and tenderness in the back, neck, shoulders or even the hips and legs. Chiropractic manipulation helps relieve the inflammation and pressure that cause the pain and has been shown to be a safe and effective treatment for disc problems.
Fibromyalgia causes pain and tenderness in various points all over the body. As a result of the pain, patients tend to avoid using the painful body part, which puts additional stress on the spine, neck and shoulders. Chiropractic care can alleviate the pain and prevent injury.
There are many causes of headaches, among them tension and poor posture. Chiropractic care can help to resolve headaches that originate in the neck or shoulders. The Doctor of Chiropractic may also discuss the ergonomics of daily activities with the patient and make recommendations to prevent further problems.
Aging, daily activities and injuries may all contribute to neck pain, which can be debilitating in its intensity and which limits many daily activities. Chiropractic care can relieve the pain through a very carefully controlled cervical manipulation calibrated to prevent further injury while relieving the cause of the pain.
Sciatica starts in the lower back and the often-intense pain travels down one or both legs. Sciatica occurs due to compression of the sciatic nerve. Chiropractic care to relive this pressure may include manipulation, ultrasound, ice or trans-cutaneous electrical nerve stimulation, which is painless and effective.